Waste Reduction Week is Oct 16-22, 2023
There are many ways to celebrate. You can choose a theme for each day of the week.
- Bring a Mug Monday: Put a to-go mug in your car or bag. Bring a refillable container as well for unplanned restaurant leftovers or take out. Learn about Reusables – a membership based to-go container program available in the Lower Mainland, Vancouver Island, and hopefully coming to the upper Sunshine Coast.
- Textile Tuesday: Sew a button. Learn how to felt. Host a clothing swap. Make a clothing donation. Visit Eunoia Fibre Studio and Gallery for great upcycling ideas.
- Waste Wise Wednesday: Never miss garbage or recycling curbside pick up again. Sign up for a reminder message on the qathet Waste Wise App. The App also has a Waste Wizard search tool to de-mystify where to take all your recyclables. Download the qathet Waste Wise Guide for even more local info on all things recycling, compost, and ‘garbage’.
- Thrifty Thursday: Go shopping at a local thrift store – look for Halloween costume pieces. Check out Powell River / qathet Shop ‘n Swap for local deals on gently used (or new!) clothing, household items and more.
- Food Waste Friday: Make a pizza from wilted but still good veggies. Get tips on how keep food fresh longer in your fridge on the Love Food, Hate Waste resource page.
- Sharing Saturday: Bring some garden preserves to a friend. Host a fall preserves & harvest exchange party. Learn about Tool Lending Libraries and muse on how to bring one to our region.
- Upcycling Sunday: Have a blast finding new uses for seeming ‘junk’ around the house. Get inspired with upcycled furniture ideas here. Check out a local art gallery like the Crucible, who often feature upcycled art.